Junior Travel League
Introduction to Competition
Travel League is the fourth step in TGP’s Junior Development Series and is intended to be an introduction to competitive golf. Travel League is geared toward young golfers who have graduated our Junior Essentials III program and have an interest in competitive golf. Travel League golfers will be coached to be thoughtful students of the game while challenging their own abilities through well-intentioned practice. Students will have an understanding of their specific swing projects and how they can utilize various resources to properly measure their progress and experiences.
This program focuses on golf fundamentals, including:
- A reliable pre-shot routine – Junior golfers will continue to build a consistent pre-shot routine that allows them to analyze and prepare for each shot, which is a skill that is needed to successfully perform under pressure.
- Pressure situations – Students will begin to experience pressure while playing competitive golf. Travel League students will be introduced to pressure through thoughtful competition with fellow TGP students.
- Putting technique – Students will continue to develop their grip and posture to allow for a free-moving putting stroke, and they will work on various drills to isolate the skills specific to putting (e.g., reading greens, clubface alignment, solid contact, and speed management).
- Recovery shots – Each player will be taught specialty shots that can be utilized when trying to escape trouble areas on the golf course.
- Competitive playing procedures – Players will learn more advanced rules and the nuances of golf etiquette that are required in tournament competition.
Travel League classes meet twice per week, and each class is 90 minutes. In addition, during spring and fall sessions, students will be invited to compete in tournaments that are held once per week.
Evaluation required for all new students. To schedule a free evaluation, contact us at [email protected].
Our staff has created a document (below) to assist families in deciding on a tournament schedule for their junior golfer.
The quantity of events you might play in is something that differs from player to player, depending on their experience and comfort level, so don’t feel like you have to follow our recommendations exactly. Our advice for Travel League students is highlighted in yellow. If you would like to discuss this more in detail, please contact your TGP coach or email us at [email protected]
“The Cube” Indoor Facility
(Highland Park, IL)
Includes one 60 minute private lesson
The Golf Practice is a PGA recognized academy
Sunset Valley Golf Club (Highland Park, IL), May 1 – May 28
HP Golf Learning Center (Highland Park, IL), May 1 – May 28
Group B: HP Golf Learning Center on Mondays, Sunset Valley GC on Wednesdays.
The Spring season is made for skill refinement, repetition and preparation for the golf course.
We offer a yearly rental club program. Please contact us to learn more.
In entering this program, it is expected that your junior golfer attends each class. Since this isn’t always possible, whether it’s due to an illness or another commitment, we offer one make-up class on 5/30.
What’s expected from Travel League students
Participation in the Travel League program is a commitment, but for those golfers willing to put in the effort you will see great improvement in your overall game.
- Twice a week group classes
- One 60-minute private lesson
- Once a month individual practice
- 9-hole tournaments with TGP
- 2–4 tournaments a year (IJGA & U.S. Kids)
Note: These are basic expectations that come with entering this program. Not all bullet points are included in the cost of tuition.
The average score for Travel League students is 54 from 1,350 yards, though some students fall below or above that baseline.
2024 Spring Session
(Highland Park, IL)
includes one 60 minute private lesson
Evaluation required for all new students. To schedule a free evaluation, contact us at [email protected]
(Makeup class on 5/30)
Tuesdays & Thursdays
April 4 – May 28 | 6:00pm-7:30pm
TGP’s Golf Bag Program
Junior golfers who participate in three or more advanced programs within a 12-month period will receive a complimentary and personalized golf bag as a recognition of their dedication. Each golf bag will include a customized TGP logo and the player’s name.